Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Ode to sweaty men everywhere

It's ironic. All through grade school we scoffed those with bad body odor, armpit stink, gym odor, etc. (shame on me), and now I find myself strangely loving the smell of my husband's sweaty body and even enjoying his sweaty laundry. For years I thought it was a little strange. Yeah, I know the research says that body odor includes pheromones. However, I was struck by the fact that something that had once been perceived as a bit gross was now quite enjoyable.

To make a valuable point, a study published in the journal Biology of Reproduction, suggested something in the perspiration brightened women's moods and helped them feel less tense. Wysocki, a study co-author, said the research could point to a "chemical communication" subtext between the sexes... And, while there was no indication of sexual arousal during this research, Wysocki did acknowledge that, "In a more sensual setting, exposure to these odors might facilitate the emergence of sexual mood or feelings."

WHAM! I'm not weird!! At least not in this context.

On to my story. Last night, after big C and I had completed a four-mile run in temps with a heat index of 109, we lounged on the back patio. I slid into our little patio love seat right next to him and enjoyed being in the presence of this sweaty man. Something that many others might find unsatisfying, possibly even making them want to sit quite a long distance from this sweaty man, was bringing me such joy.  I felt at ease, protected, loved... and well, a bit like we needed to be alone and the kidlets needed to go to bed immediately. I know all those feelings are also the product of our almost 11 years of marriage, but in the back of my mind, I also know that his sweaty body and the pheromones released through his sweat contribute to that feeling.

It's really amazing how many variables play such a significant role in the relationship of couples.  So yes baby, I like to get sweaty with you... and I like to sit right next to you when you are all soaked with sweat.  I like to workout with you and frankly, all this sweat makes my role as mistress that much more fulfilling.

So... I suggest, quite naively, don't be afraid to sniff your sweaty man or that sweaty laundry he left laying on the bedroom floor!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment and let me know you're reading!