Wednesday, July 27, 2011

My claims to superdom, or should that be superDUMB?

This was part of my horoscope for July 27, 2001. Perhaps tonight would have ended on a better note had I taken the time to read it.  However, that leaves me wondering would I have really adopted this line of thinking in my given situation?  Who knows?

You can listen more carefully and you can reach within yourself for your deepest powers of discrimination. Then, at least, you will be part of the solution, not the problem.
~Cainer Horoscopes

Ever have one of those situations where you give and give and give of yourself only to find that your giving amounted to little more than a mole hill?  Heck, to find that it amounted to virtually nothing more than a few specks of sand on the already sandy desert floor.

That's my situation. 

Since our move from Arkansas to Texas, I have felt like the definition of SuperWife.  I practically unpacked every box in our new home on my own.  This was a tedious job of lifting, sorting, and unpacking the very large and quite heavy boxes that had been packed by huge men from our Mayflower crew.  And while Big C returned to work, I made merry days with the kidlets unpacking boxes and trying to establish services that should have been established in the weeks prior to our move.  I smiled and made merry through the incessant calls to do this, do that, make sure this is done followed by that being done... I did them all with a big smile on my face.  I was truly eager to do and to help and it showed.  I was finally in Texas, and big C would be home every evening rather than only on the weekends. I was ready to make our new house a home, and I was especially ready to settle into a routine.

Now, not only had I become the SuperWife, but my role as "his mistress" had gone from better than average to, whoah man, most men have to pay for this kind of stuff!  Yeah, I truly felt like I was on the SuperWoman roll.  A clean and settled home and a more than happy and fulfilled spouse.

I made the huge, did I spell that out clearly, H-U-G-E mistake of speaking out my claims to superdom... what a mistake. It was quickly met with a, "Welllllllll, I don't know that you have been being super anything.  Yes, you are trying hard and doing an amazing job, but we still argue and disagree."

WTheck!  My immediate description of how I felt about that statement was, "I feel like you just put a lid on my candle."  I felt awful.  I had no claim to superdom, my only claim was to superDUMB!

So much for my moment of conceit. It was obviously one of those moments where you walk away thinking, "Damn! That was the best I had." and accepting defeat.  Perhaps my only fault was in thinking I was super.  Perhaps things would have gone differently had I just accepted I was doing my best.  Again, who knows?

So, I'd like to end this rant with a few words of wisdom that a dear FB friend shared quoted by Mother Teresa, "The good you do today may be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway. Give the world the best you have and it may never be enough. Give your best anyway. For you see, in the end, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway."~ Mother Teresa


So, I will continue to be the lady who lays her claim to superdom, and fingers crossed, I won't be looking back thinking I was just superDUMB.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment and let me know you're reading!