Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Concessions Stand

Never one to say, "Let your man rule your every decision..." I also want to say, God brought you together for a reason... there is a purpose.

For 11 years I have been married to my high school sweetheart.  We've always said to one another, "We are polar opposites on some issues."  And, this is the truth.  There are many issues where we simply do not see eye to eye.  Trust me, learning that it's okay to disagree and have a difference of opinions has been a long, drawn out battle for us.

My dear, sweet big C has always been very cautious with how he spends his hard earned money.  Who can blame him with our current economic crisis?  However, he has the distinct misfortune of being married to a "fly by the seat of her pants" type of gal who likes to "spend" money like she's going to die, otherwise.  Yeah, I'm setting myself up here... heck, I'm telling on myself.

It tends to be a tragic course... trendy housewife longs to be up on the current trends and insists on having the cutest kids on the block... or in the state, as is my case.  I don't spend badly or secretively, mind you.  Just given the opportunity, I'd rather spend it on clothing, accessories, and house decor.  Just saying.

When we sat down to plan our "moved to a new state budget," I was more than eager to see what we could save.  We had already agreed that the large sum we earned in equity and improvements on our prior home would remain in our account... it would be our set minimum and we would not allow ourselves to go below that value.  We also previously agreed to save another 60K for the down payment on our next and final home.  The home we'd move our kids out of... the home we would likely retire in. 

Man was I impressed to see that hefty number after we completed our budget... only to find out that we failed to multiply our grocery budget by four.  We saw that hefty number decline to a... well, at least we have some leftover money in case of emergencies.  We decided then, it was time to tighten our purse straps.  We started trying to find cuts wherever we could make them.  At our current rate we wouldn't hit goal in the next two years.  There was just no way.  And, we aren't living it up, mind you... we are just spending till we can't spend no more.

So... it is at this point... month two of our "moved to a new state" budget that I realize... Mama can't be the trendsetter all the time.  Mama has to stick to a budget... especially considering mama doesn't have to work and isn't responsible for making the money needed to suffice our extravagant (at least in our minds) lifestyle.  Afterall, the last thing I want to see is my overstressed boss of a husband worried about our savings dividends.

Now, I choose to look at it a new way.  My challenge, my personal dare is to save this sweet and amazing man as much money as I can, while also fulfilling my desires, his desires, their desires, and our needs.  So... I may not be the trendiest woman at all times... my kids may not have the newest designs at all times... but when and where it matters most, in our home... concessions stand. 

We are a budget bound family and if I can't afford it this month... maybe I can make some cuts somewhere throughout the month and maybe, just maybe, I can afford it next month. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment and let me know you're reading!